Friday, February 29, 2008

Liveblogging a day at work...

A friend of mine with an exciting job "live blogged" during his job yesterday. I figure my job is pretty exciting too so I thought I'd do the same. Check back for updates.

5:32 PM: Emails were just asking for the requirements which I have already sent so I'm going home now. Checked traffic - doesn't look too bad on LBJ today so I'm going to give that a shot.
5:23 PM: Finished writing requirements. Was about to leave but am getting a couple of emails.
4:52 PM: I guess boss already went home. Will send an email and then write a couple of requirements which somebody has asked me to write.
4:42 PM: Was finally able to reach my goal for the week. I wanted to make the policy manager pre-empt one audio stream when another starts playing. It works! Going to go tell my boss.
4:05 PM: The coworker who I asked a question to at 12:12 PM came by and asked if I had figured out my problem. I told him that I had.
3:41 PM: Coworker stopped by. Was unhappy of my decision to set a couple of defect reports assigned to me to "Reject". They are now in the "Arbitrate" state. We still have to fix them. Oh well, I tried.
2:48 PM: Back from meeting. Friday meetings are short.
2:25 PM: Off to my meeting now.
2:21 PM: Got it! I created a new thread and was able to make my problem go away. I guess you can't watch a named pipe and an unnamed pipe in the same set of file descriptors. Who knew?
2:03 PM: A very loud discussion is going on right outside my cube. I'm thinking about joining in just to mess with 'em.
1:00 PM: Realized that I am chairing a meeting this afternoon so took some time to make up an agenda.
12:58 PM: Returned from lunch. Ready to tackle that pipe issue with renewed gusto.
12:12 PM: Coworker I was looking for came by. Going to lunch
11:53 AM: Went to look for a coworker to ask a question about how pipes work in Linux. He wasn't there. Still trying to debug the problem that I've been working on all morning. Getting frustrated.
11:20 AM: Just got a department wide email that says that Prof. Dr. Ad J. van de Goor is going to be visiting our campus to talk about "Testing Memories: Defects, Fault Models, Algorithms, Tests and Industrial Results". Sounds fun.
10:21 AM: Made lunch plans with co-worker. Going to eat in the cafeteria. He brought his lunch. I didn't bring mine.
10:09 AM: My boss stopped by. Wanted to know something about performance measurements.
9:24 AM: People talking loudly nearby. Headphones on.
9:18 AM: Trying to debug code. Can't figure out why it's not working
8:56 AM: Got IM from a good friend that lives in Seattle. Told him about blog.
8:43 AM: Sitting in my cubicle. Had a couple of emails. Read them.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a really cool friend. This is a great blog - keep it up!

Alicia said...

I just went and read your inspiration for this blog. I must say, yours is fascinating! It makes me long for my cubicle life. Manalive it was exciting! It would have been quite an interesting blog to write as I'd really have to stretch to think of how this 30 minutes differed from the last. It would be something like
7:15am - Finally got off the broken elevator to approach the beloved cubicle.
7:45am - Got hot and had to turn on the fan.
8:30am - Got cool - had to turn the fan down...
Gripping, really.

Anonymous said...

I opened up your post and read the title, and thought, "Holy Smokes, me and Barry are on the same page today. And he's got another friend live blogging work, too! And here I thought I was doing somethin' original" It wasn't until I got to the bottom of the page and then went back up and checked your link that I realized you were talkin' 'bout me. Man tha's coo. Peace out.

Barry said...

This is meant to be a self deprecating look at how boring my job is compared to yours. I just want to make sure that it is clear that I'm not so deluded as to actually consider the contents of this post "exciting". :-)