Thursday, February 21, 2008

Lunch Anyone?

These days lunch time can be quite chaotic in our household with a napping almost 2 year old and a 4 year old that can't not be talking. I occasionally have the privilege of meeting my old coworkers (from my pre-kid days) for lunch, yesterday being one such occasion. Two friends are still working for my old company with no kids and one is now a stay-at-home like me with 2 kids Medium and Small's ages. These are dear friends that I am so glad I have been able to stay in touch with.

OK, enough with background info. Lunch began rather calm, kids doing well and keeping entertained. I did have to take 1 potty break for Medium before we received our meal. I was getting a little nervous when Small didn't want to stay in his high chair and also was not liking any of the food in his vicinity. So I knew where this was going. I figured I would just hold out till we had a
small melt down and then call it a day. I had to move all objects far away including drinks that he kept reaching for. Well, it would have been wonderful if the melt down had only been small. After Medium had finished and was getting antsy, his friend said she needed to go potty and therefore Medium declared he too needed a second potty break. Fine, we lug the four kids to the potty and then back again. To be able to chat a little longer (Small was not going to be happy with sitting any longer), we let the little ones stand by the table. Big mistake! Small reaches up to the table and proceeds to knock over the cup that had previously been moved because of him, now totally within his reach from the floor. It crashes towards my friend's 3 year old, and she gets wet and begins to scream that she is dirty. I then get up to pick her up and give her to her mom and Small backs up into a highchair and starts crying. As all the kids begin their domino effect, Medium announces he needs to go potty again! Check Please!

So, to my married girlfriend (that was privileged enough to witness all of this) considering whether or not she is ready to have kids...You're Not!
But I will say, they are totally worth every minute of every day! My advice is not to wait until you learn patience to have kids. Have kids, then you'll learn patience!

No comments: