A couple of months ago Kim and I realized that we were paying more than we liked to think about for cable service when we rarely watched anything besides what was on broadcast TV anyway, so we were paying whatever it was a month pretty much completely for the glorified VCR that is the DVR. So we finally decided to bite the bullet and cut the cable. Some friends of ours gave us their roof antenna that they were not using anymore so I installed that in the attic, got a couple of those digital tuners that we all have to have by February if we're not on cable and have actually been very pleased with them! They are made by the Dish Network people so the interface is very similar to the Dish DVR that we had a few years back (which we liked much better than the Verizon FiOS one that we had more recently), and the picture is perfect since it's a digital tuner. However, we really do miss the DVR - I have gone back to using the VCR that I bought when I was a sophomore in college and hadn't used at all in about 5 years. DVR is SO much nicer. But my problems might be over! This is supposedly coming out at the end of this month, and I plan on being one of the first to snag one.
I'll write a review of it once I've tried it out - this might be a good option for other people too. Unlike TiVo, it requires no monthly fee. I'm looking forward to having DVR again!
I'll write a review of it once I've tried it out - this might be a good option for other people too. Unlike TiVo, it requires no monthly fee. I'm looking forward to having DVR again!
4 comments:
Looking forward to your review on the no monthly fee DVR. BTW, how much does the unit cost?
I'm looking forward to that review, too. Chris and I are about to cout our cord with Dish Network, and the thought of losing the DVR gives me a mild panic attack...exactly why it's time to get rid of it. We are watching WAY too much TV just because it's there. And, like you guys, we only watch network TV anyway.
Found it for $299.99 with a $50 off coupon if you pre-order. Seems steep...looking forward to your review.
It's sort of steep but if you think about it that's about 4 months of cable - at least at what we were paying. Then there's no monthly fee and you have DVR forever.
Post a Comment