Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Thanksgiving Project

I just finished my Thanksgiving Project. I took an idea from my sister-in-law that she did last Thanksgiving for my niece(a Thanksgiving Handprint Turkey Shirt), and changed it up a bit. I didn't know about making my 8 year old a t-shirt for Thanksgiving, but I still loved the idea and wanted to do one for all my boys. So, instead I decided to make Thanksgiving placemats, one for each kid and something I could pull out each year and use during the fall season. Here is my version for son #1.

XS's prints were so small on the large placemat, that I decided to do Turkey's with both his Right and his Left hands. This is XS's:

I'm pleased with how each one came out, and can't wait to use them this year!

For those wanting to know how to do this here are the steps I took:

1. Cut out fabric in the size of placemat you want + 1/2 " on both sides. You need two of these pieces per placemat(i.e. front and back of placemat).
2. I pieced pieces of fabric together to make a quilt like backing, just bigger than each kids handprint. You could just use a solid piece of fabric as well.
3. Trace kids handprints on paper, cut them out.
4. Trace handprint onto fabric with disappearing ink fabric marker.
5. Place quilt fabric right side up, then place right side up of a placemat rectangle piece. (so back of placemat to front of lining. Pin this together.
6. Sew along handprint.
7. Take small scissors and cut out fabric inside the sew line, and then you will see the nice fabric underneath.
8. embellish your turkey. I added button eyes, a beak and the gobble gobble. I also stitched the year '09 to the back side of the placemat.
9. Now place your back and front placemat piece with right sides facing each other.
10. If you need the fabric to be a bit stiffer as I did, you can add interfacing in between the layers too or you can do as I did and just used a stiff muslin.
11. Place that piece on top of your sandwiched placemat, and sew a 1/4" all the way around leaving a small gap to pull the piece rightside out.
12. Miter your corners and cut extra fabric edges.
13. Pull the piece rightside out, push your corners out and iron it down.
14. To give it a finished look, sew a 1/4" around all sides, which will also close up your gap.
15. Now you have your turkey placemat to enjoy year after year (and to embarrass your son when he brings his first girlfriend home for Thanksgiving!).


2 comments:

Alicia said...

LOVE them!! Such a cute idea. I have another along these lines to share...I need to get on that.

Betty and Mickey said...

Kim, what a great idea! Crissy sent me here to see this after Thanksgiving and our "edible craft projects" for seven in the mountains. http://nmmountainretreat.blogspot.com/
This looks like a great one for next Thanksgiving or maybe Grandkids Camp! Thank you for sharing!